Friday, September 10, 2010

Let's Be Mature


The process of human maturation is one that tends to ebb and flow, and continuously changes our perspective on ourselves, others, and the world around us.  At times human behavior can be very sudden and shocking.  People mature at different paces than that of their peers.  We've all heard the classic adage that women mature faster than men.  Starting college has really opened my eyes to the absolute truth of that statement.  The women are basically all on the same plane when it comes to the level of their maturity with few much far ahead or behind the others.  However, I can hardly say the same of my male counterparts.  I really don't know what it is but some of the guys here would still probably laugh at a fart joke.  It's amazing how little of the world some people have experienced.

I'd like to start off by saying that parents do their children a terrible disservice when they do not force them to get a job.  It sounds a little harsh when I use the word "force", but honestly, that's what it takes to get a 16 year old out there to pick up applications.  Being thrust into the work force is by far the easiest way to categorize one's maturity.  Not only is it a good judge of character, working also helps the child mature into a semi-fin individual.  It's very easy to determine who has had responsibilities in the past and who has not.  Those who have actually had to work for what they earned not only place more value in their possessions but also in their time here at college.  Whereas those who have had everything handed to them on a silver platter continue to do more of the same and expect mommy and daddy to still come and clean up their messes.

When I was 16 my dad said to me, "you need to go pick up applications for a job.  When I was your age I'd been working for four years."  I would just like to take this time to thank my dad, because without a gentle push from him I would not have been able to feel the reward of earning money.  But not only earning money, gaining maturity and a greater sense of worth.

While I stress the importance of a job that is not the only way your child can mature.  Any type of responsibility the parents can place upon them helps tremendously.  Anything from homework, to help around the house, children need to feel that sense of responsibility at a young age.  Without that gentle push the child will take a very long time to mature and will fall far behind his peers.

Welcome to college, it's the real world now.  So guys, let's be mature.

1 comment:

  1. Agree to Disagree. Yes, having a job and responsibilities help children and teens mature. They become more punctual and have more respect for the things they buy with their well earned money. But I also think some people need more than a job to mature emotionally. I have a "friend" who has had TONS of job experience but still has no control over their emotions. When someone makes them mad, for little to no reason, they lash out. The "friend" is still as arrogant and rude as always. So yes, I agree a job will help someone become more mature in the aspect of discipline but you will need a lot more than a job or a "gentle push" from your parents to grow up and mature. And yes, we are in college now. Lets be mature Tyler.

    ReplyDelete