Sunday, September 26, 2010

I'm Still Here


The other day I saw the movie I'm Still Here, a mockumentary chronicling the life of Joaquin Phoenix after the announcement of his retirement in 2008.  I had heard about Phoenix's retirement, and then saw him on the Late Show with David Letterman in February 2009, where he seemed less than coherent (watch video here).  I then saw him on the same show this past Wednesday where he was back to his clean cut look.  He thanked Letterman for allowing him to come on the show in the state he was in.  He said he really wanted someone to tear him apart and Letterman gave him just that (watch video here).

Overall I thought the film was good.  It held my attention and had some very humorous moments.  The only reason these moments were humorous was because I knew this film was a joke.  Without this knowledge this movie could have been very depressing.  There are moments where Phoenix seems to completely break down and lose control, which might upset some audience members.  There are many times where you don't know what to think about the situation Phoenix has found himself in.

With all that being said I felt like this was one of the greatest acting performances of all time.  Joaquin Phoenix put himself completely into his character.  I really enjoy an actor who totally commits to the part they're playing.  My favorite actor, Christian Bale, is a great example of this.  To prepare for The Machinist, Bale cut his weight down to 120 pounds for his role as Trevor Reznik, a paranoid insomniac who seems to be followed by someone mysterious.  Phoenix did much of the same by growing a beard, gaining weight, and not showering for days at a time.

While many may dismiss this movie as garbage, I think the movie holds great cultural significance.  It will be remembered for years to come as a film that broke all the rules.  I applaud both Joaquin Phoenix and Casey Affleck.

No comments:

Post a Comment